Thursday, February 27, 2014

finally a break

Unbelievably today is the first day in over 6 months where I do NOT have a project that requires my attention. Yes, since last August I have been buried, swamped, overwhelmed and thrilled to have so much work that a lunch break was a luxury. Now what?

Now is when the busy work comes, the accounting, the web updates, the portfolio modifications, and blog posts.

What have I been doing? It seems a blur, but here are a few items:
1) New illustrations for the Idaho motorcycle safety course. This project was especially fun for me because I attended the Oregon version two years ago and received my motorcycle endorsement. All the illustrations were familiar to me situationally, and I was able to improve them through my own experience with the program and as a rider.
2) More illustrations for Total Gym. Yes Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley are still making new exercise machines and I get to do the 'how to' illustrations. I enjoy the project and am always happy when it comes back around.
3) Lots of logos. I don't even know for whom, but I know I have a list of logos that have flown out of my office.
4) The 2013 Schwabe, Williamson and Wyatt flash holiday card. This is an annual favorite and this year was no exception. Truly fun and creative.


Big sigh. The last 5 years have been brutal from a freelancer perspective. Seriously. There were times I didn't know if I would make it. Work was so scant that cruising Craig's List for any creative gig was an obsessive disorder. But thankfully, I managed to hang on, and grow in spite of the downturn. My perspective is that the economy is ticking upward, it isn't in 'fully stocked refrigerator' mode, but some of the good times from the 90's are starting to return.

Here's to weathering the storm. Finger's crossed for smooth sailing for a nice long while.


No comments: