Friday, October 10, 2008

crazy times

You would have to be dead to not know what is going on in the world right now. Holy crap what a mess we are in. Luckily I didn't have any money to lose in all this chaos. Between the hate mongering of the McCain/Palin campaign, to the abject failure of our current administration, to the overwhelming sense that we American's just don't participate nearly enough in our democracy, I feel like my head might explode soon. I heard a great story by Andrei Codrescu the poet the other day, I won't dare try to paraphrase. But go check it out. I blame our level of comfort for our lack of participation. We have Wii, food in easy to prepare plastic bags, 10,000 channels on cable, unimpeded internet, hell you name it we can get it. No wonder we don't take the time to pay attention to our politicians until it is too late. Now look where we are. And, I know that in spite of my progressive bubble I live in, there are millions of Americans that can't vote for Obama purely on his skin color. That is just how shallow and pathetic so many people are. So here I sit with my music cranked up, trying to get into a cupcake state of mind, but I can't block out the inner angst, the deep disappointment that we in this place. I want to be positive, I want to believe that things are going to be different, that maybe this type of disaster is what we need to have the social revolution that will turn things around. Make us more united, and better people. That maybe, just maybe we will pay attention and realize we can't just buy crap all the time as though it will make us feel better. People, get off your asses, ride a bike, walk to the store, read the news, write a letter to the editor, call your senator, put down that remote and step away from your 52" big screen.

2 comments:

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt said...

You are so right on with all your poignant comments, that we point the finger at everyone and everything else except our own selves. It's about time we all wake up from this "daydream nation", but that shouldn't involve flailing yourself with a cat-o-nine-tails. People watch two men pummel each other in a caged octagon on the comfort of their own couch("bread & circuses"), but point the finger at Micheal Vic for doing the same to pitbulls. Do we care more for dogs than our own kind? Did you know that there are close to 7 million homeless children in Brazil alone, and that some are snuffed in their sleep by police who act as death squads. I ask,"What the hell are we doing as a human race?" In Vedic thought though, we should look within for the answers. Love is the answer, "Yes is the answer and you know that for sure.
Yes is surrender you got to let it go". Positivity will win the day and so will love. - Peace & love

Della Rae said...

Yes, we are the people of consumption and more consumption with no gratitude or satisfaction.