Monday, May 11, 2009

thanks mom

We all have people who have helped us along the way. Helped us develop as an artist and a person. I want to take a quick moment to thank my mom for being my biggest fan. 

My mom always encouraged me in every endeavor. Choosing to be an artist is NOT something that every parent embraces. Many parents would caution against pursuing that career. But not my Mom. No, she did everything in her power to give me what I needed to be an artist. She bought all the supplies, she went to every art show, she loved every piece of art. And when I said I was going to a small art college, she said 'Great!'. She never said 'Oh that is going to be really hard', 'Are you sure you want to do that?', or 'You will never make any money'. Instead she always said 'You can do anything you set your mind to'. I heard that so much that I believed her, and still do. And although I have not accomplished what I want to accomplish, I feel confident that I will. That confidence comes from her unwavering support, love, and encouragement. 

As a parent I try to channel my Mom. I try to say the words that she said to me, knowing that her words have allowed me to embark on a career path that most would have discounted long before college came into view. When my sons express an interest in anything I tell them they can do it, I tell them I believe in them, and yes, that they can do anything they set their minds to. Hopefully, they will have heard those words enough growing up, that they too will believe them, and accomplish great things.

Thank you Mom, for your devotion, encouragement, and absolute love.

No comments: