Thursday, January 13, 2011

motivation

Ok I don't know about any of you, but finding the motivation to create new work in the middle of winter is really hard sometimes. Here in the Pacific NW, it is grey, grey and more grey. Which for me can be very tiring when I want to think about color, and spring, and life that is not, grey.

How to get motivated. I would love suggestions, but for now this is my tactic. First I try to do a little digging online for some fun artists that are inspiring. Often it just takes a few searches to see something beautiful that jump starts my brain. Second, I go for a walk or run. Something to get the blood moving. Yes even when it is pouring rain a walk can really help. Third, the library. I love the library. If I start poking around the books on gardening, art, home decor it can really get me thinking about new imagery. Fourth, the book store or a cool shop full of fun stuff. Seeing what is out there can give me the spark I need to go down my own path. And finally, I peruse old sketchbooks to find doodles that need a chance to come to life.

Currently I am in the 'idea' phase and just need a hot cup of tea and a sharp pencil to get going. Of course one brisk walk wouldn't hurt to help me move this along. Perhaps that break in the rain is trying to tell me something.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Motivation - seems to be in need all over right now huh? What about looking in cookbooks? Many newer cookbooks are super glossy and loaded with beautiful food pics!