Friday, March 4, 2011

success as an artist

Since I was 9 years old I knew I wanted to be an artist. I knew, I just knew. I didn't know how I would be an artist, or what I would do but I knew that is what I wanted.

I am 45. I feel like I have spent my lifetime striving for this thing I call success. I don't feel successful. I don't. My husband is my reality meter and he tells me I am flat out crazy. I do pay my bills through my creative skills and talents. However to me, it isn't enough. I have fabric with my art on it for sale nationwide in a major retailer, but in my head that isn't enough. I wonder, 'Why don't I have more than one print for sale?'. And this is it, this is that insatiable need for more. My measurement for success is always one step beyond where I am. So the question is, do I keep raising the bar on myself? When I started my freelance business I just wanted to work from home if I could. That was 8 years ago. Then three years ago I wanted to start licensing my artwork. Now I have art on switchplates, socks and fabric. But that isn't enough, now I want my artwork on MORE products, I want to see it in more stores.

I am an artist. But am I successful? I suppose it is all in how you define it.

No comments: